Monday, November 19, 2012

Forever Young: A 21st Birthday at Sea.

I had an absolutely amazing birthday! I definitely missed my friends and family back home, but everyone here was incredibly warm and welcoming and made me feel loved. Also, a very happy belated birthday to Grandmother, who has a birthday the day before mine.

I came back to my room late on the night of the 13th to find my bed covered in balloons that Katie blew up. Definitely a good way to begin the festivities. Jack, Katie, and I managed to stay up until midnight to cheer in the birthday, but I must say that if was short-lived and we soon all hit the hay. She also decorated the door with post-it notes in the middle of the night so that I would find it the next morning! Ain't she the best.
When I actually woke up for the day, I began with opening the present that my mother wrapped back in June or July that had been patiently waiting in my suitcase ever since. On it was a Birthday Girl pin and inside the book-shaped box was all sorts of birthday goodies! It had balloons, a banner, cupcake napkins, candles, and a gorgeous set of earrings.
Jack, Katie, and I proceeded to breakfast where I opened all the incredible cards sent to me from wonderful people. Many, many thanks to Mom, Dad, Aunt Betsy, Holli, Jan and Rodney, Allison, Namma and Pappy, and the Current Events Sunday school class. Also, thanks to Auntie Ann for the package filled with not one, not two, but three singing birthday cards! Let's just say the chicken dance, light-up candles, and a shimmying martini shaker were involved. 
I also lucked out in that my morning class was cancelled, so all I had was one 1:00 class that day! I got to relax and hang out for most of the day.
That afternoon, I got one of my favorite presents. A man named Paul Liebhardt is currently on the ship, and he's a world-renowned photographer. He  is also becoming one of my friends and my good friends on the ship. For my birthday, I was allowed to choose one of his pictures as a present and he gave me some of the smaller prints of 4 other pictures, too. I love looking up at the picture I choose in the end! I would definitely recommend looking him up on the internet and finding some of his photos. (http://www.semesteratsea.org/faculty-and-staff/paul-liebhardt/) I also got a gorgeous necklace from Cape Town from Katie and chocolates and music from Jack.

But the best part of the day was doing Special Occasion dining with 4 of my closest friends on the ship! Katie, Bronwyn, Josie, and I all dolled up and listened to music for about an hour. It was good fun to just hang out with the girls. Jack picked us up and we did the stereotypical, prom-esque photo shoot. After some lovely pictures inside and in front of a gorgeous sunset, we went in to eat. And eat we did! Multiple appetizers, soup, salad, entrees, and desserts. And then a cake was served! Mom ordered me a delicious chocolate ice cream cake. (Thanks, Mom!)

All in all, it was a fantastic night and I love my friends and family!

Photo 1: Katie's birthday balloon surprise along with the many wonderful cards sent to me in Rio de Janeiro! Thank you everyone who sent them.

Photos 2 and 3: Katie's post-it decorations on the door!

Photo 4: Bronwyn, Jack, Katie, Josie, and me before my Special Occasion Dining dinner.

Photo 5: Stair picture of the 5 of us.

Photo 6: Katie and me before dinner.

Photo 7: Katie, Josie, and me before dinner.

Photo 8: The girls before dinner.

Photo 9: The girl out on the deck enjoying the sunset before dinner.

Photo 10: All five of us in front of the sunset.

Photo 11: Jack and me before dinner out in front of the sunset.













No comments:

Post a Comment