Friday, September 28, 2012

Vamos a Espana!

Spain is absolutely incredible!! I have memories of Barcelona from a few years back, but I must say that this tops it all! (No offense, mom and dad.)

Some of you may have noticed that there is some turmoil in Muslim influenced nations and a distrust of Americans. In order to avoid conflict, we are no longer going to Moroccao. While I'm extremely sad to say this and disappointed that I won't experience the rich culture and get to ride a camel, I know it is for the best in the end. This is especially true since I don't know if everyone on this boat could handle a culture so different and conservative. Instead, we are spending two extra days in Spain and then heading to the Canary Islands!

The first day was spent getting very lost in Cadiz, our port of call, with my good friend Max. We decided to forgo the map and just go with our best judgment. Thankfully, he has an exceptional sense of direction and got us back after lunch with no problem. But any time we came upon a chance to take a turn, we would sit for a second and then just point and go! It was so much fun, and we ended up finding an incredible place to eat lunch in the middle of a random square. After making our way back to the ship, we made a fast change and then vamos a la playa! As you could probably tell, we just kind of roamed to a random beach and ended up hanging out with the locals. We basked in the sun and took a little nap. (Don't worry - we slept on our stuff.) That night when we out for a night cap, we happened to wander into a parade that we think was for the birthday of the Virgin Mary! It was SO incredible and elaborate. I included a picture of it below. The main piece took about 30 men to lift and carry and the procession lasted for over an hour.

The second day, my roommate and I went on an olive oil and wine tour! It was really cool, and both tours were lead by the owners of the fields and factories. They were so passionate about what they did! Both places displayed an undeniable attention to detail, hygiene, and quality. It definitely gave me more of an appreciation for the art of both. Our olive oil factory was located in a very small, but important town of Zahara. We found out that it was one of the places in which the Reconquista began! We got a full, very detailed tour of how the olive oil is made and got to taste test some. Honestly, THE most incredible olive oil ever. The wine was in a small town called Rhonda, and the vineyards sprawled out over the countryside were amazing to see. We were served three different varieties of wine, along with some tapas. The wine was of unmatched quality, and the tapas were extraordinary! We had a crab dish, venison with caramelized onions, a specific egg and potato pie thing, pork, salsa, and sautéed peppers. Then that night, Katie and I made our way to a hostel where a friend was staying. And the only reason he was staying there was to use the kitchen. He proceeded to cook all sorts of Spanish dishes for a group of us - beans, rice, 5 types of cheese, a certain type of Spanish sausage, and many other things. We ate and met other people staying in the hostel and laughed over dessert and a sunset on the terrace on the roof. As you can imagine, it was an AMAZING way to end the day.

The third day, Bronwyn and I hiked through the Grazalema National Park. I was so happy in the fresh air and brisk mountain winds!! I included a couple pictures of the view from one of the tops, and you yourself can see and imagine how great it felt to be up there. Cold, but marvelous. I know I'm a city girl, but mountains definitely have a special place in my heart. We enjoyed a nice late lunch in the white city of Grazalema, aptly named for the fact that every single building is painted bright white. There are many of these little cities all over this part of Spain, and they are a sight to see! That night we went out to a Salsa bar! It was so much fun, and I absolutely lived learning how to salsa from a professional local. I got lucky enough to be told by multiple people that I salsa like a Spaniard! Needless to say, I was exceptionally excited I hear that and took the compliments with pleasure.

The fourth day, the three of us (Katie, Bronwyn, and I) headed to a nearby city of Seville. We roamed around the city and hit every single one of their ancient and historic sites. If you couldn't tell already, we do A LOT of roaming around cities. While maps are helpful, sometimes the best things happen when you just go with it. That's one thing that we have learned very well on this trip, and I'm so thankful for that. The city is filled with gorgeous parks and old palaces and cathedrals.

Our second to last day was filled with one thing - rain. Lots of it. I can now say that the rain in Spain does not in fact fall mainly on the plains. It rains on the coast too! Katie and I relaxed on the boat in the morning and then braved the weather to find some wifi in the afternoon. We sat in a little beachside cafe for about 4 hours and we chatted about things, facebooked, emailed, and such. I must say that I'm thankful that I have such luck with roommates! Yet again, my roommate has turned into my best friend. Speaking of roommates, one of the highlights of my afternoon was being able to FaceTime Serena, my roommate back home, for almost an hour! I was SO happy to be able to hear her voice and see a piece of home! Thankfully, she was awake at 8:00 in the morning Virginia time. Having a relaxing day rejuvenated me, and prepared me for another evening of salsa-ing until the early hours.

The last day was spent roaming around with Max and Katie. Saw some more sights, did some touristy shopping, and got some grocery shopping done. Sat at another cafe to drink coffee and get wifi.

All in all, I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment